Dry Eye Treatment
Dry eye is a chronic eye condition that causes immense discomfort. The good news? Our eye doctors at James Tracey Eye Care can help you manage this condition so you can enjoy long-lasting relief and a better quality of life.
What is Dry Eye Syndrome?
Dry eye syndrome (DES) is caused by the eyes not producing enough tears or producing low-quality ears. This prevents the eyes from being well-lubricated, which is essential for protecting them from irritants.
What Causes Dry Eye?
Dry eye can be caused by the following:
- Environmental factors
- Aging (women over 50 are also at double the risk of developing dry eye compared to men in the same age group).
- Certain medications
- Hormonal changes in women caused by pregnancy, breastfeeding, oral contraceptives, or menopause
Common Dry Eye Symptoms
You may have DES if you experience the following symptoms:
- Burning Sensation
- Feeling of a foreign object in the eye
- Watery eyes
People with dry eye often try blinking less, rubbing their eyes, or using over-the-counter artificial tears for relief. However, these methods don’t solve the underlying cause and may even worsen it.
Reduced blinking lessens the eye’s lubrication, while rubbing the eyes can increase discomfort and spread germs, causing infections or inflammation. Although artificial tears can help temporarily, excessive use of eye drops with preservatives can be harmful in the long term.
Dry Eye Treatments
Treatments that our eye doctor prescribes for DES include:
- Medicated or anti-inflammatory eye drops
- A heated compress
- Punctal plugs (tiny devices placed in the tear ducts to prevent moisture from leaving the eyes)
We also offer advanced dry eye treatments that use the latest technology to tackle the root cause of dry eye head-on.
- Allows our eye doctor to measure matrix metalloproteinase-9 (MMP-9) levels in the tears, a natural protein enzyme often elevated in dry eye patients.
- In just 10 minutes, our convenient in-office test analyzes tear samples from the lower eyelid, providing quick and accurate results.
- This advanced procedure addresses the main cause of dry eye, meibomian gland dysfunction (MGD), which is caused by clogged meibomian glands.
- LipiFlow captures detailed images of the tear film.
- It also uses a gentle combination of heat and light pressure to unblock the glands and stimulate natural moisture production in the eyes in just 12 minutes.
- This innovative tool is designed to measure tear concentration levels.
- It’s made of three essential components — the disposable microchip test card that collects a tear fluid sample in under 30 seconds, the test pen that expertly analyzes the sample and swiftly transmits the data, and the sleek countertop unit.
- Within seconds, the results are ready, providing valuable insights for tailored dry eye care.